Melanie DeMore: African American Spirituals and Civil Rights Songs
In this 30-minute video, Melanie DeMore shares African American Spirituals and Civil Rights songs and examines the power of this music to inspire emotions, build community, and feed people’s spirits during challenging times. A dynamic and engaging guide, Melanie explores work songs, sorrow and jubilee songs, as well as zipper songs, and encourages us to create our own songs of hope and healing. The Interactive study guide features the visual artwork of more than a dozen African American artists.
Performer Spotlight includes:
- Interactive Study Guide (Before the Show)
– Let’s Meet Melanie DeMore
– About African American Spirituals
– Songs of the Civil Rights Movement
- Watch the Video: Pre-Recorded Performance/Demonstration (a Cal Performances Digital Classroom Video)
– Songs include: Sun Up to Sun Down; Lord, How Come Me Here; Throw Me Anywhere, Lord (The Buzzard Lope); Come By Here, My Lord; Ain’t Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Around; Hold on Just a Little While Longer; Lead with Love; and more.
- After the Show: Student and Teacher Surveys (5 min)
Cost: FREE (Grant funded) Grades: 3rd – 10th
Teachers, parents and community members can sign-up for this Performer Spotlight here:
Is a production of
With additional funding from:
Friday February 25th, 2022 - Thursday March 31st, 2022
More from Poway On Stage